Fit Hungry Mama

One mama's journey of finding balance with food, fitness, family, and fun

About Me

I’m a happily married stay-at-home-mom of two beautiful boys, ages 1 and 4. My passions are my family, friends, food (cooking it and eating it!), exercise, watching sports, being out in nature, listening to music, playing board games, and photography.

Yes, I really do love to exercise.  I start to feel anxious if I don’t  get some form of exercise in each day. I love to run, walk,  trail and mountain hike, swim, play with my kids, and resistance train. I believe that exercise shouldn’t feel like a chore. You should only do exercises that you truly look forward to doing each day!

Also, I’m a real girl with real appetite. I do not believe in “dieting”. Instead, I prefer intuitive eating by eating clean nutrient rich foods at least 80% of the time. The other 20% are treats that I enjoy guilt-free. Thankfully, there are a ton of healthy delicious recipes out there so I really don’t feel like I’m depriving myself at all when I’m eating clean.

My Story:

One day, in late 2004,  I was at a Rite Aid going through pictures I had developed there.  This particular roll of film had a bunch of photos of myself with the beautiful golden retriever mix I just adopted. Instead of smiling at all the freshly printed memories, I got depressed. Who was this woman I was looking at? I didn’t recognize her at all. That is when I realized that I had a serious weight problem.  Not only did I look physically different, the emotions on my face were drastically different from my college days. I was no longer the happy confident girl that I remembered. I sadly returned most of the photos of myself, but decided to keep only one of me kneeling next to my new gorgeous dog.  Little did I know that keeping that photo would be one of the best life decisions I ever made.

The next day, my dog and I started going on walks in the neighborhood. That is when I realized how out of shape I was. I made it around the block once and had to stop because I was out of breath. I didn’t give up and eventually our walks got longer.  On January 1, 2005, I made my very first New Year’s Resolution – to lose weight. I was super-motivated because I was newly engaged and had a wedding to plan!

So, on the first day of 2005, I weighed in at 208 lbs.  Right then, I decided my goal was to lose 50 lbs by my wedding day in October. I counted calories and went on lots of walks and jogs for months and the pounds melted off. Not only did I look better, I felt better inside and out! I met my wedding day goal  by my wedding day and lost an extra 10 lbs over the next 6 months by adding weight training to the mix. I successfully maintained my 148 lbs until I got pregnant with our first son in April 2007.

The pregnancy was a dream come true for us after many months of disappointments. Unfortunately, I used the pregnancy as an excuse to overeat and cut back on exercise.  I gained 40 lbs!  I lost all  but 18 lbs by going on stroller walks, doing dvd workouts,  and going to Curves a few times a week.  In June 2010, I got pregnant with our second son. Thankfully, I was much more careful with eating and managed to only gain 31 lbs.  In addition to my usual stroller walks and dvd workouts, I  joined a gym and hired a personal trainer to help me gain lean muscle mass and to lower my body fat percent.

In early 2012, I finally reached my weight loss goal of 158 lbs (aka my wedding day weight)! My current goal is to continue to lower my body fat percent, gain more lean muscle mass, and improve my muscular strength and cardiovascular endurance.

Advertisements

One response to “About Me

  1. TheFitHousewife says:

    Wow, what a great story. My story is very similar. It sure is wonderful to have found my true passion in exercise and eating healthy! Thanks so much for being real and sharing your story 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: